training in cultural tourism professions
The MIRO.EU-PM Programme (ANR-11-IDFI-0027) is classified as an Initiative for Excellence in Innovative Training (IDEFI) under a formal agreement with the Agence Nationale de la Recherche since 2012. The programme is led by a consortium of five higher education institutions: the University of Perpignan Via Domitia (project leader), Sciences Po Toulouse and the Universities of Andorra, the Balearic Islands and Paris VI (through the Oceanographic Observatory in Banyuls-sur-Mer). The objective of this programme is to develop solutions for the transformation (digital, in particular) of higher education through experimentation. The Miro Programme has developed its expertise in this field by designing a Master’s in Cultural Tourism delivered completely online.
The Pyrenees-Mediterranean Euroregion is situated at the crossroads of two tourism models: the French model, France being the first destination in terms of number of visitors and the Spanish model, Spain being the leader in terms of economic impact. This region, which is equipped with top-tier tourism infrastructure and institutions (historic cities, UNESCO World Heritage Sites), gives us an insight into the major changes in the tourism sector:
- New rules apply to destination choices due to disappearing geographical barriers;
- The emergence of new tourist-generating countries and the necessity of taking cultural differences into account;
- The digital revolution and new practices related to e-tourism;
- A specific approach to the enhancement of culture and heritage for tourism purposes.
As part of a reflection on changes in cultural tourism, the Miro Programme has established a close relationship with:
- Over a hundred cultural and heritage institutions and tourism agencies in the Pyrenees-Mediterranean Euroregion;
- The World Tourism Organization through Academy (an institution responsible for the WTO’s Education training courses) for input from certified experts in the field of cultural tourism.