Funded by the Agence Nationale de la Recherche, the MIRO.EU-PM Programme (ANR-11-IDEFI-0027) is part of the Initiatives for Excellence in Innovative Training (IDEFI). It has been granted a budget of 5.5 million euros over a period of seven years (2012-2019) and consists in the transformation – particularly digital – of higher education through experimentation
It is supported by a consortium of five higher education institutions: the University of Perpignan Via Domitia (project leader), Sciences Po Toulouse and the Universities of Andorra, the Balearic Islands and Paris VI (through the Oceanographic Observatory in Banyuls-sur-Mer).
The Pyrenees-Mediterranean Euroregion is located at the crossroads of two major cultural tourism models: the French model, France being the first destination in terms of number of visitors and the Spanish model, Spain being the leader in terms of economic impact. With exceptional tourism institutions and infrastructures (historical cities, UNESCO World Heritage sites), this territory represents the major transformations of the tourism sector:
- New rules apply to destination choices due to disappearing geographical barriers
- New cultural territories are defined by the globalisation of tourism; there is a tendency to move from quantitative to qualitative tourism models
- The digital revolution, new e-tourism practices, the move from e-tourism to m-tourism and new experiential and collaborative tourism practices
- Specific approaches to culture through industrial tourism, scientific tourism, remembrance tourism, wine tourism, mountain tourism and wellness tourism.
As a consequence of the reflection around the transformation and evolution of cultural tourism and in order to accompany these transformations through training, the MIRO Programme has established close relationships:
- With around a hundred cultural, tourism and heritage institutions within the Pyrenees-Mediterranean Euroregion
- With Sciences Po Toulouse for the collaborative development of content
- With the World Tourism Organisation through the Themis foundation (educational component of the WTO) for collaboration with certified cultural tourism experts in order to obtain the UNWTO.TedQual Certification
- With Microsoft for the implementation of the Office Benefit Operating System on campus, the study of the MOODLE/Office 365 association and the search for innovative machine translation solutions