AN INITIATIVE FOR EXCELLENCE
Funded by the Agence Nationale de la Recherche, the Programme MIRO.EU-PM (ANR-11-IDEFI-0027) is part of the Initiatives for Excellence in Innovative Training (IDEFI). It has been granted a budget of 5.5 million euros over a period of seven years (2012-2019) and consists in the transformation – particularly digital – of higher education through experimentation.
It is supported by a consortium of five higher education institutions: the University of Perpignan Via Domitia (project leader), Sciences Po Toulouse and the Universities of Andorra, the Balearic Islands and Paris VI (through the Oceanographic Observatory in Banyuls-sur-Mer).
THE PYRENEES-MEDITERRANEAN EUROREGION: A LABORATORY FOR NEW CULTURAL TOURISM CHALLENGES
The Pyrenees-Mediterranean Euroregion is located at the crossroads of two major cultural tourism models: the French model, France being the first destination in terms of number of visitors and the Spanish model, Spain being the leader in terms of economic impact. With exceptional tourism institutions and infrastructures (historical cities, UNESCO World Heritage sites), this territory represents the major transformations of the tourism sector:
- New rules apply to destination choices due to disappearing geographical barriers
- New cultural territories are defined by the globalisation of tourism; there is a tendency to move from quantitative to qualitative tourism models
- The importance of other cultures is emphasised by the development of new tourist-generating countries
- The digital revolution, new e-tourism practices, the move from e-tourism to m-tourism and new experiential and collaborative tourism practices
- Specific approaches to culture through industrial tourism, scientific tourism, remembrance tourism, wine tourism, mountain tourism and wellness tourism
The scope of these transformations implies a need to renew training so as to meet the challenges of this evolving industry.
The MIRO MASTERS is an online professional Master’s degree in cultural tourism delivered through a digital platform (MOODLE). This multilingual course (French, Catalan, Spanish and English) offers innovative tuition on heritage recognition, tourism development and management, target audience policies and e-tourism. It is accredited by three national ministries (France, Andorra and Spain), granting students three national diplomas at the end of their studies.
The MOOC Cultural tourism today: what are the challenges? is open to undergraduate students, tourism professionals and anyone interested in the recent cultural tourism and mobility challenges related to the promotion of different regions. This five-week course will be available as of May 9, 2017 via the FUN (France Université Numérique) platform.
IMPACTS OF THE MIRO PROGRAMME
As a consequence of the reflection around the transformation and evolution of cultural tourism and in order to accompany these transformations through training, the MIRO Programme has established close relationships:
- With around a hundred cultural, tourism and heritage institutions within the Pyrenees-Mediterranean Euroregion
- With Sciences Po Toulouse for the collaborative development of content
- With the World Tourism Organisation through the Themis foundation (educational component of the WTO) for collaboration with certified cultural tourism experts in order to obtain the UNWTO.TedQual Certification
- With Microsoft for the implementation of the Office Benefit Operating System on campus, the study of the MOODLE/Office 365 association and the search for innovative machine translation solutions